Monday, March 17, 2014

Muddy Waters

The kids were off of school today - yes, all of them. And yes, that rarely happens. And yes, I had grand plans for taking them to the Great Outdoors somewhere.

And G-d had other plans. Remember the  how we learned to expect the unexpected and the car that would not start? Today's challenge, should we choose to accept it, was to stay home and sane. At the same time. I guess I could have booted up the computer and let the kids take a bash at MathBlaster (or whatever its newer cousin is called). I could have called in sick (well, I've got three vomiters on my hands). But I didn't. I saw the day through with flying colors and I deserve all the pats on the back I can get.

It was a hot day, so I got out the hose - yes, I do know there's a drought on - and we filled our favorite spot in the backyard. And oh the ecstasy of mud. We painted the garage door and the backyard patio.We went wading, and contrary to Polly Chase Boyden's assertions we do know how nice the mud feels between our toes. Oh so squishy and squiddgy and MUDDY. We painted ourselves and each other a deep, deep brown.

And how sweet we sounded as we splashed and we laughed and pitter-pattered in bare feet on cement flags.

Not to be outdone, our bathtub now sports an inch or two of tantalizing grunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment